Michigan State University Smoking Cessation Program
September 2013 - December 2014
Sponsored by Human Resources, Olin Health Center,
and the Office of the University Physician - Health4U Program
The Michigan State University (MSU) Smoking Cessation Program provides an evidence-based tobacco cessation program featuring structured behavioral support sessions and periodic medical evaluation. Program participants can quit smoking with the help of Chantix® or Zyban® (Bupropion) or no medication at all. The final decision regarding use or no use of quit assist medication will be made in consultation between each participant and the program health care provider.
The MSU Smoking Cessation Program eligible groups include MSU faculty, academic/support staff, graduate student employees and the adult benefits-eligible family members of these groups.
Program Orientation Dates
The next pre-enrollment orientation date is scheduled on Wednesday, September 18, from 1:30 to 3:30pm in the Olin Health Center classroom (room 247).
Enrollment is limited to 25 participants per session.
- Attend Pre-enrollment Orientation.
- Complete enrollment by paying the Basic Program Enrollment Fee ($140) at the initial medical evaluation appointment.
- Provide consent for project staff to notify primary care provider regarding enrollment in the project.
- Schedule an initial medical evaluation appointment.
- Participate in five behavioral support sessions.
- Participate in an initial, one, three and twelve month medical evaluation appointments.
- Complete Nicotine Verification Testing at the three month and twelve month medical evaluation appointments.
- Complete a three, six, nine and twelve month project evaluation survey.
Basic Participant Cost: $140
Basic Program Enrollment Fee: The basic project enrollment fee partially defrays costs associated with the four medical evaluation appointments and the five behavioral support sessions. (Payable to MSU.)
Prescription Co-pay: Varies depending on participant decision regarding use of medication to assist smoking cessation process.
Pre-enrollment Orientation Registration
You must register to attend the program pre-enrollment orientation. You may register in person at 330 Olin Health Center, by phone at 517-353-2596 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. The pre-enrollment orientation session is provided at no cost.
If you decide to enroll you will pay the full Basic Program Enrollment Fee ($140) by cash, check or credit card to MSU at the time of your initial medical evaluation appointment.
Questions regarding the program may be addressed to Nancy Allen or Derek Dubuque at the MSU Health4U Program in person, via phone at 517-353-2596, or by email at email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information, including full program dates and locations:
Smoking Cessation Description (PDF file)