Programs and services located on campus to help people address issues and concerns related to the use of substances

If you are considering your relationship with alcohol, nicotine, or other drugs, then you may be interested to know that there are services on campus available to you right now.  These programs are available to all MSU faculty and staff members, and often also offer services to the spouses, partners, and immediate family members of faculty and staff. 

  • Employee Assistance Program (EAP)- (517) 355-4506.The Employee Assistance Program (EAP) at MSU. The EAP is available to all MSU faculty, staff, and retirees; their partners and spouses; and their benefits-eligible children and dependents. It is a short term counseling option and/or assessment and referral service that is housed right on campus. Eligible individuals are able to get six sessions of counseling at no cost, and it is staffed by mental health and substance use disorder professionals who are licensed in the state of Michigan.
  • The MSU Psychological Clinic-  (517) 355-9564.The MSU Psychological Clinic is staffed by clinicians enrolled in the MSU Clinical Psychology doctoral program and by some MSU Clinical Psychology faculty. All clinicians are individually supervised by experienced Ph.D. psychologists from the University faculty and the Greater Lansing community.  The Clinic provides a wide range of services to the general public. Fee for services at the Clinic is set on an income-adjusted basis.
  • MSU Counseling and Psychiatric Services (CAPS)- (517) 355-8270. MSU Counseling & Psychiatric Services, CAPS, is the new place on campus for students seeking help for a wide range of concerns, including: depression, anxiety, stress management, homesickness, adjustment or acculturation, relationships, gender and sexual orientation (LBGTQ) issues, substance use disorder, traumatic experiences, eating or body image concerns, and other personal mental health concerns. CAPS combines the services of the former MSU Counseling Center and former Olin Psychiatry Clinic under one roof to provide improved access for students.
  • MSU Couple and Family Therapy Clinic-  (517) 432-2272.The MSU Couple and Family Therapy Clinic is the clinical facility of the Ph.D. specialization in Marriage and Family Therapy (MFT). The MFT doctoral specialization at MSU provides the education and training for the professional practice of MFT as a mental health service. All therapy is conducted by MFT doctoral interns under the supervision of clinical faculty. Our mission is to provide therapeutic services for families, couples, and individuals of all ages through a systemic lens. 
  • MSU Student Health Services (Olin Health Center)-  (517) 353-4660.Olin provides medical and dental care for students and their spouses during their enrollment at Michigan State University. They have a good deal of free information available regarding drug and alcohol use. To contact, call number listed above.
  • MSU's Drug and Alcohol PolicyA link to MSU's policy on drug and alcohol use.

Find a Class

Browse all courses

Search Health4U

Food and Nutrition Counseling Services

Food and Nutrition Counseling Services provides you with access to accurate health and lifestyle information, helping you to explore new behaviors and skills, and identifying useful campus and community resources.

MSU community members eligible for food and nutrition counseling services include faculty, staff, graduate assistants, retirees and the spouses/partners of members of these groups.

To schedule an appointment with Health4U you are not required to email us from your MSU email address; please email us from the email address you are most comfortable with. 

Read More

Departmental Services

The goal of department based services is to provide work units and colleagues the opportunity to learn about health and wellness as a group activity or exploration.  

Read More

Health e-Guide

This guide has been discontinued and is no longer viewable.

Visit Health e-Guide