Grilled Sweet Potato Starter
- Ingredients and Prep Work for Sweet Potato Rounds:
- • Heavy Duty Foil or Griddle for Grill – For caramelizing the vegetables and sautéing the corn and beans
- • Black Beans – 1, 15 oz can or equivalent in dry – drained and rinsed. Make sure they are dry before adding to the grill.
- • Sweet Corn – 1 Ear – Soak corn with husk on in cold water bath for 10-15 minute. Drain.
- • Sweet Potato – 1 Large – Peeled, cut into 4 finger width slices
- • Yellow Onion – 1 Half – Julienned
- • Red Bell Pepper – 1 each – Julienned
- • Cilantro – ¼ bunch – Rough Chop – Reserve to finish
- • S+P – To Taste – Where appropriate
- • Olive Oil – “As Needed” – Brush on the Sweet Potato, and for cooking veggies (aerosol like pam olive oil works great for this)
- Ingredients and Prep work for Cumin Molasses Drizzle:
- • Molasses – 2 tbsp.
- • Lime Juice – ½ lime – Whisked with Molasses
- • Cumin, ground – ½ tsp – Added to the above
- • Ziploc Bag – 1 each – Add the mix and snip the corner. Drizzle on top of potato starter after it is fully cooked and plated.
Grilling and Plating Instructions:
1. Turn grill on to medium heat. Prepare double layer of foil for a flat spot on half of the grill.
2. Complete Sweet potato and Cumin Molasses Drizzle prep work as stated above.
3. Start by putting the soaked and drained corn over the non-foiled side of the grill – this is going to cook for about 10-15 minutes, turn every couple of minutes, until it looks a little charred and when you peel back the husk the corn is bright yellow (and maybe white!)
4. Start cooking the onions on the foil side of the grill as soon as the corn is added. Drizzle onions with a little olive oil and salt and pepper and stir as needed. Once the onions are translucent and the edges start to brown in the slightest, add in the julienned peppers. Stir and season as desired.
5. Add the sweet potatoes to the uncovered side of the grill next to the corn. Rotate them 45 degrees after about 3-4 minutes to get the nice grill marks, cook for another 3-4, flip, and repeat.
6. After 15 minutes, the corn should be done. Pull it off to the side to cool down for a quick second before shucking it. Once cooled completely, cut or shave it off the cob.
7. Make space for the black beans and corn on the foil. Sautee them with a little olive oil on the foil side. Season as desired with salt and pepper.
8. Pull off those Sweet Potatoes once they are just fork tender. If they are cooking too fast, wrap them in foil or move them to the upper rack over the foil. If they are cooking too slow…turn up the heat on that part of the grill and make sure you’re closing the lid.
9. To serve – Place Grilled Sweet Potato Round on Plate, Top with Peppers and Onions, Spoon over Black Beans and Corn, Drizzle with Cumin Molasses, and Add some Chopped Cilantro.
Chewy farro grains are delicious in this autumn-y salad. Recipe yields enough for dinner for 2 to 4 with some left for a couple of lunches. To do this, make the base with dressing, farro, and grilled veggies. Add fresh veggies to the base as you go.